Updated: Mar 26
The ketogenic diet is everywhere right now and you might be wandering why. One reason keto has become increasingly popular is due to its incredible weight loss abilities, however what's different about this diet in comparison to others is the many other benefits you would not have expected to hear about. Infact it was originally developed to treat people with epilepsy, Alzheimers and other neurological diseases.
What is the ketogenic diet or "keto" you may ask?
The keto diet is a high fat, low carb eating plan. The reason why it is called "ketogenic" is because the body, when restricted of carbohydrates, shifts into burning an alternative energy source called "ketones" also known as "ketone bodies". Hollywood A-listers and celebrities such as Halle Berry, Adriana Lima and Tim Tebow have all publicly advertised the benefits of the diet.
So I am sure you now want to know the health benefits of keto..
1. Fuels and feeds your brain: Ketones provide immediate energy for your brain, and up to 70% of your brain's energy needs when you restrict carbohydrates. Since your brain is also 60% fat, it needs good fat to ensure your brain remains strong.
2. Increases energy: Ketosis enables the brain to create more power generators within your cells, allowing you to have more energy to use during the day.
3. Reduces inflammation: The keto diet is an anti-inflammatory and can protect you against major degenerative diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer's.
4. Lowers blood sugar: As carbohydrates turn into glucose (sugar) in the body, when substituting carbs to fat for energy, your blood sugar stabilises. Keto can therefore be especially beneficial for diabetics, who have high blood glucose levels as it may cure or reverse diabetes.
5. Supresses hunger: Ketones influence the hormones which control your appetite. Ketones increase cholecystikinin (CCK) and suppresses ghrelin (hunger hormones), which means it lets your brain know when you have eaten enough. The results of this is rapid weight loss.
6. Protects your heart: High levels of blood triglycerides also known as fat molecules in your bloodstream, are linked to coronary heart disease. Keto lowers your triglycerides and cutting down on carbs increases your good cholesterol levels which as a result protects your heart from disease.
As with any diet, it will only work if you are consistent however, as well as the powerful health benefits of a ketogenic diet, you will also see fast initial weight loss. When you first limit carbs, your body uses glycogen in your muscles and liver. This causes rapid water weight loss during your first week or two as you transition into ketosis. As a result, you will see faster results and this may give you all the more reason to GO KETO!
#London #Hoxton #Shoreditch #Vegan #keto #lowcarb #ketodiet #lchf #ketolife #ketosis #weightloss #ketolifestyle #ketogenic #ketomeals #ketorecipes #ketoweightloss #ketofood #weightlossjourney #ketogenicdiet #fitness #healthyfood #ketofriendly #ketotransformation #healthylifestyle #ketoaf #paleo #intermittentfasting #ketocommunity #healthy #ketofam #diet #lowcarbdiet #bhfyp #Ketobeginner #Keto101